Rewrite the Rules
It’s easy to tap into your inner child during the holiday season. Once the visions of sugarplums have finished their dance, bring that ‘3-year old you’ into your business and let that child loose to ask “why?, why?, why? as 3-year olds do.
Pepper yourself and your team with questions about why you do things the way you do them. Step back, take a minute, think it through…
- is there a better way?
- a smarter way?
- an easier way?
- a less expensive way?
- Is this guideline helping us or holding us back?
- Is the reason for this policy even valid anymore?
- Does this guideline fall short given all the new technology in place?
- Does this policy apply with this new team we have?
- Are we stuck in the past and missing opportunities?
- Is our communication clear enough that our expectations will be met?
- Does my team know what I need from them?
- Does my team know how to evaluate their effectiveness?
- Does my team have the resources, training and support they need and deserve?
- Am I aware of all of the new federal and state guidelines that I must be following?
The quality of your answers will be a direct result of the quality of your questions. Shake things up and start 2013 off with a brand new energy! Challenge your team to come up with great questions and plan a brainstorming party. Yes, your strategic planning meeting should feel like a party as you create an energy that excites and inspires you to build a blueprint for success in the New Year.
Objectivity can be elusive… Want help? … that’s what we do. Click here for information on our team workshops and consulting services: http://bit.ly/UgEjtW
“Rewrite the Rules – Don’t Just Create More Exceptions To Them” – Jeffrey Hollender Cofounder, Seventh Generation